I had my first day at work today after being unemployed since Sept. 19, 2008. Man, was I bored!!!!
They seriously have a communication problem there b/c my boss didn't know I was coming in today. She didn't have anything ready for me to do, nor was my office set up! So we met for nearly 2 hrs. talking about where to start and what I could do w/out a phone or computer - practically nothing.
The job seems interest thus far, from what I have been reading. I get $918k to spend w/in the next 2-3 yrs. helping people keep their housing or find housing if they are homeless. It is going to be a challenge to set this whole program up from scratch, luckily a few other cities have gotten started already so I have something to copycat if its good :-)
I already have a waiting list of people who need assistance, but I can't help them until I figure out what the qualifying criteria are going to be and I still need to creat an application and files for them. We're up to 74 families on the list and more keep calling every day!
This program should've been up and running oh, about 2 months ago! But things were so confusing and I didn't get hired until today, so I have to hit the ground running and get this program going ASAP.
Wish me luck!
you'll do great! what is your new job? sounds like what i used to deal with on a daily basis working for property management. i would always have to refer people over to the county for HUD and housing vouchers. is that what you're dealing with? low/no income families and giving them a voucher? if so, you won't be bored. once it gets going, you'll NEVER have a slow moment or down time. trust me!!!! is it a full time position?
ReplyDeleteKinda - I'm running a new HUD program for the City. I have lots of $ to help Very low & Low income families/individuals. I can help pay a portion of their rent and/or utilities, I can get the a hotel voucher for up to 30 days, I can help them find other sources of income and jobs, etc. I pretty much do it all! I just asked for an intern or 2 yesterday b/c I will def. need help.
ReplyDeletethat's awesome! i know so much more than i even think i EVER wanted to know about that stuff! i dealt with it on a daily basis... had to refer them all to the county. couldn't help them onsite, except for the very low bond. we had waitlists on each site. i hope you enjoy it!!! still going good so far?
ReplyDelete