Monday, May 24, 2010

Work. . . its going

Lately work has been going smoother than usual. And I think it is b/c I've taken some really good advice into consideration (meaning, I have actually used it).

A few weeks ago I was talking to a neighbor about how crazy my job is. I explained that I had no time for anything, not even lunch (I usually worked through lunch eating at my desk). So he stopped me mid story and explained a time when he was working as Dean of LBCC, he'd just started and wafeeling like he was in over his head. Then he realized that if he didn't do something to take control over the situation(s) at work, he'd have to quit.

Now, I've know this neighbor since I was 7 and he is NOT a quitter! Anyway, long story short, he told me that if I didn't take control of my job, I would either go cray, get hypertension from stress (whicjh I was already developing) or I 'd just quit. His advice to me was "control the job, don't let the job control you!"

After his HR stories and his advice, I went into work the next day and wrote out a list of things to do each day. Since then, as I follow my list, I've noticed that my days have gone smoother, faster, and I get home way less stressed. I love it!

So my days go something like this:
MONDAY - Check voicemail & e-mail & respond
New appointments @ 9, 10, 11, 2, 3 & 4
Draft approval/denial letters & send up for signature
Complete payments logs for Debbie
HMIS input, complete case notes & file

TUESDAY- Check voicemail & e-mail & respond
Follow-up appointments @ 9:30, 10, 10:30, 11, 11:30, 2, 2:30 & 3
Mail approval/denial letters
HMIS input, complete case notes & file

WEDNESDAY- Check voicemail & e-mail & respond
New appointments @ 9, 10, 11, 2, 3 & 4
Draft approval/denial letters & send up for signature
Review all applications & make recommendation
HMIS input, complete case notes & file
Schedule new appointments

THURSDAY- Check voicemail & e-mail & respond
Follow-up appointments @ 9:30, 10, 10:30, 11, 11:30, 2, 2:30 & 3
HMIS input, complete case notes & file
Schedule new appointments
Get PT's signature for new applicants & payment logs

some descriptive text

No comments:

Post a Comment